Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1820 as part of terrace of four (Nos. 15-18), having three-storey gabled return to rear. Now in use as offices. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to east end of rear span, with terracotta ridge tiles, behind brick parapet with granite coping and parapet gutters. Shouldered rendered chimneystacks to party walls having red brick upper section and replacement terracotta pots to west and clay pots to east. Shared replacement uPVC downpipe. Flemish bond brown brick walling on granite plinth course over painted rendered basement walling. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with painted granite sills and painted rendered reveals. Timber sliding sash windows with profiled horns, three-over-three pane to top floor, ten-over-ten pane to basement, and six-over-six pane elsewhere. Wrought-iron grille to basement, decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor and wrought-iron window-guards to second floor. Rear has apparently timber sash windows, east bay having six-over-six pane to second floor and west bay having three-over-three pane to top floor and eight-over-eight pane below. Round-headed painted masonry doorcase having moulded surround, freestanding Ionic columns, entablature with panelled frieze and moulded cornice, decorative petal fanlight and eleven-panel timber door with recent chrome furniture. Granite entrance platform with cast-iron boot-scrapes and five bull-nosed granite steps. Decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on granite plinth enclosing basement area, with cast-iron gate. Replacement door and window beneath entrance platform, accessed via concrete steps. carparking and modernized two-storey mews building to rear of plot.
A late Georgian row house, built as one in a terrace of four. The front elevation exhibits well-balanced proportions and fenestration grading typical of the period. The restrained façade is enlivened by cast-iron balconettes, intact setting features and an Ionic doorcase with a decorative fanlight. It makes a strong contribution to the cohesive character of Mount Street Upper and the wider architectural heritage of south Dublin city. The street was built 1790-1834, the variations in the streetscape are indicative of the piecemeal nature of its construction, the north side being notably less grand than the south. The east end of the street is effectively terminated by St. Stephen's Church, creating an interesting centrepiece and terminating one of the key vistas of Georgian Dublin.