Survey Data

Reg No

50100552


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Office


Date

1810 - 1830


Coordinates

316905, 233341


Date Recorded

01/07/2016


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1820 as one of terrace of four (Nos. 15-18), having two-storey return to west end of rear. Now in use as offices. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to west end of rear span, behind brick parapet with granite coping and parapet gutters. Shouldered red brick chimneystacks to east party wall with rendered base and replacement terracotta pots. Shared cast-iron downpipe. Flemish bond brown brick walling on painted granite plinth course over painted ruled-and-lined rendered basement walling. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with granite sills and painted rendered reveals. Timber sliding sash windows, one-over-one pane to ground and first floors with ogee horns, two-over-two pane to second floor and three-over-three pane to top floor with simple horns, and ten-over-ten pane to basement without horns. Wrought-iron grille to basement window, decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor, iron window-guards to second floor. Rear elevation has apparently timber sash windows, four-over-four pane to top floor and eight-over-eight pane below to east bay and round-headed six-over-six pane window to west bay. Round-headed stone doorcase having moulded surround, Ionic columns, entablature with panelled frieze and moulded cornice, plain fanlight and eleven-panel timber door with brass and bronze furniture. Granite entrance platform with cast-iron boot-scrape and five bull-nosed granite steps. Decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth enclosing basement area, with cast-iron gate. Replacement door and window beneath entrance platform, accessed via mild-steel steps. Garden to much of rear plot, with recent two-storey building and yard to rear of plot.

Appraisal

A late Georgian row house, built as one in a terrace of four. The front elevation exhibits well-balanced proportions and fenestration grading typical of the period. The restrained fa├žade is enlivened by cast-iron balconettes, intact setting features, including an ornate boot-scrape, and an Ionic doorcase. It makes a strong contribution to the cohesive character of Mount Street Upper and the wider architectural heritage of south Dublin city. The street was built 1790-1834, the variations in the streetscape are indicative of the piecemeal nature of its construction, the north side being notably less grand than the south. The east end of the street is effectively terminated by St. Stephen's Church, creating an interesting centrepiece and terminating one of the key vistas of Georgian Dublin.