Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1820 as one of terrace of four (Nos. 11-14), having gabled two-storey return to west end of rear. Now in use as college. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to west end of rear span, with terracotta ridge tiles, behind brick parapet with granite coping and parapet gutters. Shouldered brick chimneystacks to east party wall with clay pots. Flemish bond brown brick walling, rebuilt to top floor, on granite plinth course over painted ruled-and-lined rendered basement walling. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with painted masonry sills and painted rendered reveals and having later red brick voussoirs to top floor. Timber sliding sash windows with horns, three-over-three pane to top floor, eight-over-eight pane to basement and six-over-six pane elsewhere. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor. Rear elevation has apparently timber sash windows, including round-headed six-over-six pane stairs window to west end. Round-headed painted masonry doorcase having moulded surround, fluted Doric columns, plain frieze and moulded cornice, spoked fanlight and six-panel timber door with recent brass furniture. Shared granite entrance platform with cast-iron boot-scrape and five granite steps. Decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth enclosing basement area, with cast-iron gate. Decorative cast-iron coal-hole cover to pavement. Replacement uPVC door to basement with plain surround. Large single-storey flat-roofed building to rear plot, with modernized two-storey mews with yard to rear of plot .
A late Georgian row house, built as one in a terrace of four. The front elevation exhibits well-balanced proportions and fenestration grading typical of the period. The restrained façade is enlivened by cast-iron balconettes, intact setting features and a Greek Doric doorcase with a simple fanlight. It makes a strong contribution to the cohesive character of Mount Street Upper and the wider architectural heritage of south Dublin city. This street was built 1790-1834, the variations in the streetscape are indicative of the piecemeal nature of its construction, the north side being notably less grand than the south. The east end of the street is effectively terminated by St. Stephen's Church, creating an interesting centrepiece and terminating one of the key vistas of Georgian Dublin.