Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1820 as one of terrace of four (Nos. 11-14), with hipped two-storey return to rear. Now in use as apartments. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to east end of rear span, with terracotta ridge tiles, behind brick parapet with granite coping and parapet gutters. Partly-rebuilt shouldered brick chimneystacks to west party walls with octagonal clay pots. Shared replacement uPVC downpipe. Flemish bond brick walling with recent wigged pointing on granite plinth course over painted rendered basement walling; rendered walling to rear. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with painted masonry sills, painted rendered reveals and brick voussoirs. Timber sliding sash windows with horns, three-over-three pane to top floor, one-over-one pane to ground floor with ogee horns, and eight-over-eight pane to basement with wrought-iron grille. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor and wrought-iron window-guards to second floor. Rear elevation has apparently timber sash windows, three-over-three pane to top floor and eight-over-eight pane below, including round-headed stairs window opening to east bay of rear. Round-headed painted masonry doorcase with moulded surround, fluted Doric columns, plain frieze, moulded cornice, spoked fanlight and six-panel timber door with brass furniture. Shared granite entrance platform with cast-iron boot-scrape and five granite steps. Spear-headed cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth enclosing basement area, with cast-iron gate. Concrete steps and plainly detailed recent door to basement. carparking and modernized three-bay two-storey rendered mews building to rear of plot.
A late Georgian row house, built as one in a terrace of four. The front elevation exhibits well-balanced proportions and fenestration grading typical of the period. The restrained façade is enlivened by cast-iron balconettes, intact setting features and a Greek Doric doorcase with a simple fanlight. It makes a strong contribution to the cohesive character of Mount Street Upper and the wider architectural heritage of south Dublin city. The street was built 1790-1834, the variations in the streetscape are indicative of the piecemeal nature of its construction, the north side being notably less grand than the south. The east end of the street is effectively terminated by St. Stephen's Church, creating an interesting centrepiece and terminating one of the key vistas of Georgian Dublin.