Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1820 as one of terrace of four (Nos. 11-14), having gabled three-storey rear return. Now in use as offices and apartments. M-profile pitched slate roof, behind brick parapet with granite coping and parapet gutters. Shouldered brick chimneystacks to party walls (partially rebuilt to east) with clay pots (octagonal to east), brick chimneystack to gabled return. Shared replacement uPVC downpipes. Flemish bond brown brick walling on granite plinth course over painted rendered basement walling; English garden wall bond brick to rear elevation. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with painted masonry sills, painted rendered reveals and brick voussoirs. Timber sliding sash windows with horns, three-over-three pane to top floor, eight-over-eight pane to basement and six-over-six pane elsewhere (one first floor window hornless). Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor. Six-over-six pane to round-headed stairs window, and three-light timber casement to rear. Round-headed principal doorway with moulded surround and painted masonry doorcase comprising fluted Doric columns, plain entablature, spoked fanlight and six-panel timber door with brass furniture, including figurative knocker. Granite entrance platform with cast-iron boot-scrape and five granite steps. Decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on painted moulded granite plinth enclosing basement area, with cast-iron gate. Concrete steps and plainly detailed recent door to basement. Further two-storey building, recent two-storey mews and carparking to rear of plot.
A late Georgian row house, built as one in a terrace of four. The front elevation exhibits well-balanced proportions and fenestration grading typical of the period. The restrained façade is enlivened by cast-iron balconettes, intact setting features. It makes a strong contribution to the cohesive character of Mount Street Upper and the wider architectural heritage of south Dublin city. This street was built 1790-1834, the variations in the streetscape are indicative of the piecemeal nature of its construction, the north side being notably less grand than the south. The east end of the street is effectively terminated by St. Stephen's Church, creating an interesting centrepiece and terminating one of the key vistas of Georgian Dublin.