Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1820 as one of terrace of four (Nos. 11-14), having gabled three-storey return to rear. Now in use as offices. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to west end of rear span, with terracotta ridge tiles, behind brick parapet with granite coping and parapet gutters. Shouldered brick chimneystacks to east with clay pots, brick chimneystack to gabled return. Shared replacement uPVC downpipe to rear. Flemish bond brown brick walling on granite plinth course over painted rendered basement walling with horizontal channelling; English garden wall bond red brick to rear elevation. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with painted masonry sills, painted rendered reveals and brick voussoirs. Replacement timber sliding sash windows with convex horns, three-over-three pane to top floor, eight-over-eight pane to basement with wrought-iron grille, and six-over-six pane elsewhere. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor and wrought-iron window-guards to second floor. Rear has apparently timber sash windows, possibly three-over-three pane to top floor and eight-over-eight pane below, with round-headed stairs window to west bay. Round-headed principal doorway with moulded surround, painted masonry doorcase comprising fluted Doric columns, plain entablature, spoked fanlight and recent timber panelled door. Granite entrance platform with cast-iron boot-scrape and five granite steps. Decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth enclosing basement area, with cast-iron gate. Cast-iron coal-hole cover to pavement. Modernized two-storey rendered mews building to rear of plot.
A late Georgian row house, built as one in a terrace of four. The front elevation exhibits well-balanced proportions and fenestration grading typical of the period. The restrained façade is enlivened by decorative cast-iron balconettes, intact setting features and a fine Doric doorcase with a relatively simple fanlight. No. 11 is largely well-retained across its front and rear elevations, featuring a two-storey mews building to the rear. It makes a strong contribution to the cohesive character of Mount Street Upper and the wider architectural heritage of south Dublin city. The carriage-arch leading to Stephen's Place indicates the importance of the mews lane to the Georgian urban plan. This street was built 1790-1834, the variations in the streetscape are indicative of the piecemeal nature of its construction, the north side being notably less grand than the south. The east end of the street is effectively terminated by St. Stephen's Church, creating an interesting centrepiece and terminating one of the key vistas of Georgian Dublin.