Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1820
Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1810 as part of terrace of four (Nos. 7-10), having one, two and three-storey flat-roofed additions to east end of rear. Now in use as offices. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to east of rear span, behind rebuilt brick parapet with granite coping and parapet gutters. Shouldered rendered chimneystacks to west with yellow clay pots. Shared cast-iron downpipe, and replacement uPVC to rear. Flemish bond brown brick walling, rebuilt to top floor in English garden wall bond, on granite plinth course over painted ruled-and-lined rendered basement walling; English garden wall bond red brick to rear elevation. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with painted masonry sills, rendered reveals and brick voussoirs. Timber sliding sash windows, one-over-one pane to basement with angled horns and to ground and first floors with ogee horns, six-over-six pane to second floor with convex horns; replacement uPVC to top floor. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor. Rear has diminutive oculus with timber casement, otherwise apparently timber sash windows, six-over-six pane to lower floors. Round-headed principal entrance with moulded surround, painted masonry doorcase comprising fluted Doric columns, plain entablature, decorative spoked fanlight and replacement timber door with brass furniture. Granite entrance platform with four bull-nosed steps. Basement area enclosed by decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth. Modernized two-storey rendered mews building to rear of plot.
A late Georgian row house, built as one in a terrace of four, and forming an ensemble with its neighbour to the east, the composition having a centrally positioned carriage-archway leading to the mews lane at the rear. The front elevation exhibits well-balanced proportions and fenestration grading typical of the period. The restrained façade is enlivened by decorative cast-iron balconettes, intact setting features and a fine Doric doorcase with an interesting wrought-iron screen behind a simple fanlight. No. 10 is largely well-retained across its front and rear elevations. It makes a strong contribution to the cohesive character of Mount Street Upper and the wider architectural heritage of south Dublin city. The carriage-arch leading to Stephen's Place indicates the importance of the mews lane to the Georgian urban plan. The street was built 1790-1834, the variations in the streetscape are indicative of the piecemeal nature of its construction, the north side being notably less grand than the south. The east end of the street is effectively terminated by St. Stephen's Church, creating an interesting centrepiece and terminating one of the key vistas of Georgian Dublin.