Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1820
Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1810 as part of terrace of four (Nos. 7-10), with two-storey flat-roofed return to rear. Now in use as offices. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to west of rear span, behind rebuilt brick parapet with granite coping and parapet gutters. Shouldered rendered chimneystacks to party walls with yellow clay pots. Shared cast-iron downpipe, and replacement uPVC fittings to rear. Flemish bond brown brick walling, rebuilt to top floor in English garden wall bond, on granite plinth course over painted ruled-and-lined rendered basement walling; English garden wall bond red brick to rear elevation; ruled-and-lined rendered to return. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with painted masonry sills, rendered reveals and brick voussoirs. Timber sliding sash windows with horns, one-over-one pane to ground and first floors with ogee horns, three-over-three pane to top floor, six-over-six pane to second floor and eight-over-four pane to basement, all with convex horns. Wrought-iron grille to basement window. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor windows. Rear elevation has apparently timber sash windows, three-over-three pane to top floor and six-over-six pane below, including round-headed stairs window to east bay. Round-headed opening and oculus with timber casement to rear elevation. Round-headed painted masonry doorcase with moulded surround, fluted Doric columns, plain entablature, simple spoked fanlight, and bolection-moulded six-panel timber door with beaded muntin and brass furniture. Granite entrance platform with four bull-nosed steps. Basement area enclosed by decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on painted moulded granite plinth. Two-storey rendered mews building to rear of plot, having chamfered corner and vehicular opening behind steel roller shutter.
A late Georgian row house, built as one in a cohesive terrace of four, and forming an ensemble with its neighbour to the east, the composition having a centrally positioned carriage-archway leading to the mews lane at the rear. The front elevation exhibits well-balanced proportions and fenestration grading typical of the period. The restrained façade is enlivened by decorative cast-iron balconettes, intact setting features and a fine Doric doorcase with a relatively simple fanlight. No. 9 is largely well-retained across its front and rear elevations, featuring oculus windows and a two-storey mews building to the rear. The house makes a strong contribution to the cohesive character of Mount Street Upper and the wider architectural heritage of south Dublin. The carriage-arch leading to Stephen's Place indicates the importance of the mews lane in the Georgian urban plan. This street was built 1790-1834, the variations in the streetscape are indicative of the piecemeal nature of its construction, the north side being notably less grand than the south. The east end of the street is effectively terminated by St. Stephen's Church, creating an interesting centrepiece and terminating one of the key vistas of Georgian Dublin.