Survey Data

Reg No

50100543


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Office


Date

1810 - 1830


Coordinates

316847, 233375


Date Recorded

01/07/2016


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1820 as part of terrace of four (Nos. 7-10), and having three-storey flat roof return to rear. Now in commercial office use. M-profiled pitched slate roof, hipped to west end, behind brick parapet with granite coping. Two shouldered rendered and brick chimneystacks to party wall. Parapet gutters and cast-iron downpipe. Brown brick Flemish bond walling, rebuilt in English garden wall bond to top floor, on granite plinth course over painted rendered basement walling; rendered walling to rear. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with granite sills, rendered reveals and brick voussoirs. Replacement timber sliding sash windows with horns, three-over-three pane to top floor, eight-over-eight pane to basement with steel grille and six-over-six pane elsewhere. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor windows. Rear elevation has apparently timber sash windows, three-over-three pane to top floor and six-over-six pane below. Round-headed door opening with moulded surround and painted masonry doorcase, fluted Doric columns, plain entablature, replacement batwing fanlight and recent timber panelled door with brass furniture. Cement rendered entrance platform with four matching steps. Basement area enclosed by decorative spear-headed cast-iron railings on moulded granite plinth. Mild steel steps to basement area. Recent two-storey block to rear of plot, shared with No. 8.

Appraisal

A late Georgian row house, built as one in a cohesive terrace of four. The front elevation exhibits well-balanced proportions and fenestration grading typical of the period. The restrained fa├žade is enlivened by decorative cast-iron balconettes, intact setting features and a fine Doric doorcase with a decorative fanlight. It makes a strong contribution to the cohesive character of Mount Street Upper and the wider architectural heritage of south Dublin city. This street was built 1790-1834 and the variations in the streetscape are indicative of the piecemeal nature of its construction, the north side being notably less grand than the south. The east end of the street is effectively terminated by St. Stephen's Church, creating an interesting centrepiece and terminating one of the key vistas of Georgian Dublin.