Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1820
Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1810, with full-height gabled return to rear. Now in office use, with apartment to basement. Pitched artificial slate L-plan roof, behind brick parapet with granite coping and parapet gutters. Shared rendered chimneystacks to east and gabled return, with replacement pots. Shared replacement uPVC hopper and downpipe, and cast-iron to rear. Flemish bond brown brick walling on painted granite plinth course over painted ruled-and-lined rendered basement walling; smooth rendered largely blank walling to rear. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with painted masonry sills, patent reveals and brick voussoirs. Bipartite metal casement windows to top floor and to rear return, timber sliding sash elsewhere, replacement one-over-one pane to ground floor with ogee horns, six-over-six pane hornless windows to first and second floors (including one to rear elevation) and eight-over-eight pane hornless to basement with wrought-iron grille. Round-headed door opening with moulded surround, tripartite doorcase comprising slender panelled pilasters, respond quarter-pilasters, plain lintel cornice, decorative radial fanlight, replacement rolled glass sidelights, and replacement timber panelled door with recent brass furniture. Paved granite entrance platform, with two steps to street. Basement area enclosed by wrought-iron railings on painted moulded granite plinth. Plainly detailed door and window opening beneath entrance platform, accessed via concrete basement steps. Cast-iron coal-hole cover to pavement. carparking to rear, with rendered recent boundary wall.
A late Georgian row house, built as one of a group of four. The front elevations of the terrace exhibit well-balanced proportions and fenestration grading typical of the period, while the restrained façades are enlivened by cast-iron balconettes, intact setting features and good doorcases. The house has a relatively modest doorcase with a good fanlight. It makes a strong contribution to the cohesive character of Mount Street Upper and the wider architectural heritage of south Dublin city. The street was built 1790-1834, the variations in the streetscape are indicative of the piecemeal nature of its construction, the north side being notably less grand than the south. The east end of the street is effectively terminated by St. Stephen's Church, creating an interesting centrepiece and terminating one of the key vistas of Georgian Dublin.