Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Technical

Previous Name

Conyngham Bridge

Original Use


In Use As



1785 - 1795


317264, 233340

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Single-arch granite canal bridge, built c. 1790 carrying road over Grand Canal, structure later widened to west side. Coursed granite parapet, granite stringcourses and copings and with projecting piers to each elevation. Segmental arch to east elevation with voussoirs and hood-moulding; flat concrete lintelling to west elevation, supporting rebuilt western parapet. Carved limestone plaque to east elevation, with lettering 'McKenny Bridge'. Memorial commemorating Battle of Mount Street in 1916 to southwest. Located at junction of Mount Street Lower and Northumberland Road and abutted by canal lock to south.


A well-built stone canal bridge, showing evidence of skilled masons and quality engineering, which was widened to the south. Its name is noted on an oval stone plaque to each face. The bridge forms part of the infrastructure of the historic Grand Canal. Originally named 'Conyngham Bridge', it was renamed for Thomas McKenny, chairman of the Grand Canal Company. The Grand Canal, along with the Royal Canal, encircles Dublin city centre and provides a waterway connection between the Liffey and Shannon rivers. Construction of the canal began in the second half of the eighteenth century and the bridge forms part of a small group along with the neighbouring canal lock.