Survey Data

Reg No

50100521


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Restaurant


Date

1790 - 1830


Coordinates

316897, 233521


Date Recorded

07/06/2016


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Attached two-bay five-storey former house over basement, built c. 1810 as one of pair with No. 6. Converted for commercial use; partially vacant at time of survey. M-profile pitched slate roof, concealed behind parapet wall with granite coping. Shouldered rendered chimneystack to east party wall and replacement red brick to west. Parapet gutters with cast-iron hopper and downpipe breaking through to east. Flemish bond brick walling on dressed granite plinth course over painted rendered basement walling; rendered walling to rear. Square-headed window openings, diminishing to upper floors, having patent reveals and painted masonry sills. Timber sliding sash windows, three-over-three pane to top floor and six-over-six pane to middle three floors, with ogee horns to first floor but hornless above, and enlarged openings to ground floor and basement. Mid- to late twentieth-century oriel bay window inserted to ground floor, with lead-lined cornice. Segmental-headed door opening with moulded surround and Ionic doorcase comprising engaged columns with Adamesque capitals supporting entablature with fluted frieze and rosettes, plain fanlight and ten-panel timber door. Granite platform with three steps to street. Basement area enclosed by wrought-iron railings with decorative cast-iron posts on moulded granite plinth.

Appraisal

No. 5 Mount Street Lower is a good example of the terraced Georgian house typology in Dublin, displaying elegant proportions and the graded fenestration typical of the period. The relatively plain fa├žade is enriched by a good Adamesque Ionic doorcase, somewhat diminished by the replacement fanlight and door. The original character has been altered with the insertion of an oriel bay display window to the ground floor, but the integrity and rhythm of openings are retained across the upper floors. Likely built as a pair with No. 6, it is an important part of the original Georgian character of Mount Street Lower, a street much degraded by twentieth-century developments.