Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1790 - 1810


316600, 233313

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1800 as pair with No. 29, with flat-roof addition to rear. Now in office use. M-profile pitched slate roof, behind brick parapet with granite coping and having dormer window and skylights to south slope of rear roof. Shouldered rendered chimneystacks with yellow clay pots. Parapet gutters and shared replacement uPVC downpipe. Flemish bond brown brick walling on painted masonry plinth course above painted smooth-rendered basement walls; rendered to rear. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with patent reveals, painted granite sills and brick voussoirs. Timber sliding sash windows, one-over-one pane to basement, ground and top floors, two-over-two pane to first floor and six-over-six pane to second floor, with ogee horns basement; rear has round-headed stairs window to east bay and tripartite casements to west bay. Wrought-iron window-guards to top three floors, and wrought-iron grille to basement. Round-headed painted masonry doorcase with Ionic columns, painted moulded reveals, entablature with fluted frieze and rosettes, plain fanlight and nine-panel replacement timber door with brass furniture. Granite entrance platform with cast-iron boot-scrape and two steps to street level. Basement area enclosed by wrought-iron railings with decorative cast-iron posts on painted moulded granite plinth, with steel steps to basement. Rear plot fronts onto Little Fitzwilliam Place, having roughcast brick wall to lane with square-headed vehicular opening.


No. 30 Baggot Street Lower is sited within a fairly unified late Georgian terrace lining the north side of the street. It is a well-preserved house, built around the turn of the nineteenth century. The building retains the well-balanced proportions and graded fenestration pattern typical of the period, and is enriched with a neo-Classical doorcase and fanlight that provide a visual focal point to the modestly ornamented exterior. It is further enhanced by the iron window-guards to the three upper floors. The retention of timber sash windows and the intact setting to the front enhance this building. Despite some loss of original detailing, No. 30 is relatively well retained, forming part of this principal Georgian streetscape and contributing to the historic core of south central Dublin. The development of this street was planned in the late 1780s and approved by the Wide Streets Commissioners in 1791. Characterized by rhythmic proportions and graded fenestration, the austere and relatively modest facades of this row are aggrandized by the width of the tree-lined street, as the building line steps back considerably from No. 18 to the west, expanding to a breadth of 30m (100ft).