Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As



1790 - 1830


316565, 233333

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached three-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1810 as one of pair, having gabled rear elevation with three-storey return. Now in use as offices, with shop to basement. Pitched slate roof to front, behind rebuilt brick parapet with granite coping, and pitched artificial slate roof to rear perpendicular to street; shouldered rendered chimneystacks to party walls and to centre of rear elevation with yellow clay pots, and concealed rainwater goods. Flemish bond red brick walling with wigged pointing over granite plinth course above painted smooth-rendered basement walling; rendered to rear. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with patent reveals and granite sills. Timber sliding sash windows with ogee horns, six-over-six pane to ground floor and basement and one-over-one pane elsewhere; timber sash windows to rear. Decorative cast-iron balconettes to first floor, wrought-iron guard-rails to top two floors, and wrought-iron grilles to basement. Round-headed painted masonry doorcase having square-headed door opening, engaged columns and respond pilasters with Adamesque Ionic capitals, stepped cornice, fluted frieze with rosettes, plain fanlight and sidelights, and ten-panel timber door with brass furniture. Granite entrance platform with cast-iron boot-scrape and three steps to street level. Basement area enclosed by wrought-iron railings with decorative corner posts on moulded granite plinth. Mild-steel steps to basement and recent door beneath platform. Rear plot has recent mews building, and painted rubble stone boundary wall with steel vehicular gate fronting Fitzwilliam Lane.


No. 24 Baggot Street Lower is sited within a fairly unified late Georgian terrace lining the north side of the street. It is a well-preserved house, built probably as a pair with the building to the east, around the turn of the nineteenth century. The pair are distinguished from their neighbours by their three-bay elevations and gabled rear elevations. This building retains the well-balanced proportions and graded fenestration pattern typical of the period. It is enriched by a neo-Classical doorcase and fanlight, as well as ornate balconettes to its first floor and window-guards to two further floors all providing strong visual focal points to the modestly ornamented exterior. The building makes a strong contribution to the early character of Baggot Street, which has been fairly well retained along this northern stretch. The retention of timber sash windows, and the intact setting to the front, enhance this building. Despite some loss of original detailing, No. 24 is relatively well retained, forming part of this principal Georgian streetscape and contributing to the historic core of south central Dublin. The development of this street was planned in the late 1780s and approved by the Wide Streets Commissioners in 1791. Characterized by rhythmic proportions and graded fenestration, the austere and relatively modest facades of this row are aggrandized by the width of the tree-lined street, as the building line steps back considerably from No. 18 to the west, expanding to a breadth of 30m (100ft).