Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Social
In Use As
1875 - 1885
Freestanding fountain, presented to the citizens of Dublin in 1880 by Lady Laura Grattan. Drinking cups would have been attached to the shaft, while horses could drink from the basin. Comprises red marble shaft with quatrefoil plan, having moulded base, low relief diamond motif to top of each facet and cast-bronze water spouts (now disused) to base, with sculpted upper part having gadroon and gable motifs topped by Greek cross; all above round-plan moulded granite basin on granite plinth with moulded base, all atop two octagonal-plan steps. Stands on footpath to northern perimeter of Saint Stephen's Green, opposite south end of Dawson Street.
A fountain presented by Lady Laura Grattan, daughter-in-law of Henry Grattan, to the citizens of Dublin, at a time when running water was supplied to only a small number of houses in the city. It is an eye-catching piece of street furniture, with a combination of polished marble and granite, with bronze details. The associated horse drinking troughs (Record 50100258 have been moved nearby.)