Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Technical
In Use As
1880 - 1890
Entrance screen, erected c. 1885, to forecourt to Leinster House and the entrances to the National Library and Museum. Central vehicular entrance comprising ornate wrought-iron double-leaf gate with curlicues and medallions and surmounted by similarly ornate arch having central harp motif. Gateway attached to square-plan entrance pavilion to each side. Each pavilion has Portland stone walling with channelled corner pilasters, moulded cornice and cut granite plinth with moulded Portland stone coping, and with cyma-recta profile domed stone roof having recessed panel to base of front face, moulded cornice, and hexagonal-plan wrought-iron lamp standard, round-headed doorway to east and west elevations having moulded archivolts with scrolled keystones springing from impost mouldings, decorative wrought-iron gates having similar fanlights with glazing, and having metal turnstile to interior. South pavilion has additional recent glazed visitor security entrance. Window openings to north and south elevations have similar detailing and timber casement windows. Decorative wrought-iron railings flanking pavilions on similar base and having channelled piers with similar detailing to pavilion pilasters. Screen terminated at each end by entrance gateway to National Library (north), comprising pseudo-three-centred decorative double-leaf gate with decorative wrought-ironwork above and to sides, latter on high plinth, and overhead is lettering 'Library' and finial; differently detailed double-leaf gate to National Museum to south, having lower plinths to each side and lettering 'Museum' and finial overhead.
A screen of gates, railings and pavilions enclosing the Kildare Street frontage of Leinster House, erected to design by Thomas Newenham and his son Thomas Manley Deane. Leinster House, the former townhouse of the first Duke of Leinster, built 1745-8, designed by Richard Castle, has been the seat of the Oireachtas (Irish parliament) since 1924. The screen replaced the original entrance screen to Leinster House, which comprised a rusticated triumphal arch with screen walls. Finely crafted wrought-iron and high quality granite and Portland stone stonework make it a fitting entrance screen to an ensemble of high-status civic buildings.