Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


Historical Use

Shop/retail outlet


1730 - 1760


316195, 233539

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1745, with abutment to south end of rear. Later converted for use as shop and offices. Currently vacant and undergoing renovation (September 2016). Slate roof, behind parapet with concealed gutter, pitched to front part and hipped to rear part, latter running perpendicular to street; brown brick chimneystack to north end having yellow clay pots; cast-iron hopper and with downpipe breaking through to north end of front. Ruled-and-lined rendered walling, painted to ground floor. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, having plain reveals and painted masonry sills. Timber sliding sash windows, six-over-six pane to middle floors, four-over-four pane to top floor, ground floor window temporarily infilled with block behind boarding; timber sash windows to rear. Segmental-headed door opening, framed by projecting painted stone doorcase having engaged Doric pilasters over plinth stops, supporting cornice, open-bed pediment with cast-iron petal fanlight, and replacement timber panelled door. Basement and ground floor concealed by temporary timber hoarding. Shared sandstone entrance platform with cast-iron boot-scrape, accessed by two granite steps from street level.


A mid-eighteenth-century Georgian house, likely built as a pair with No. 18. Despite some alterations, the overall character is relatively well retained, displaying well-balanced proportions and a good pedimented doorcase with a cast-iron fanlight. The four houses on this section of Kildare Street are all set back from the main street-line, as shown on Rocque's map 1756 and on subsequent OS maps. Formerly known as Coote Lane, Kildare Street was widened and renamed when work on Kildare House began in 1745 and soon developed as an exclusive residential thoroughfare. Many houses in the street were built in the mid-1750s by John and George Ensor, although a further nine were also built by George Spring about 1756. In conjunction with the similarly dated terraces to the north and south, No. 19 makes an important contribution to the early character of Kildare Street, which has been fairly well retained along this stretch.