Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1895 - 1905
Freestanding monument, erected c. 1900, to Edward Stamer O'Grady. Comprises sculpted sandstone pillar with fluted sides, swags to frieze and moulded decorative cornice, supporting cast bronze water spouts in form of lion heads, over cut granite base, standing within moulded Portland stone basin. Basin has lettering 'In memory of Edward Stamer O'Grady FRCSI. Died 18th October 1897.' in high relief to underside of rim; gadrooning to underside atop base having garlands to shaft over moulded sandstone base, standing on further octagonal base of three granite steps.
This monument is one of a number of finely made monuments on Leinster Lane, within the grounds of Leinster House. Memorializing the surgeon, Edward Stamer O'Grady, who practiced in the former Mercer's Hospital, it display good-quality craftsmanship in granite, Portland stone and with accomplished bronze lion's head waterspouts.