Categories of Special Interest
1740 - 1890
Attached nine-bay five-storey former terrace of houses, built c. 1750, remodelled c. 1880, recent traditional-style shopfronts. Now in use as commercial premises. Flat roof, concealed behind rendered parapet with rendered coping over moulded cornice; brick chimneystacks with clay pots; and replacement uPVC rainwater goods to south end. Rendered walls, with raised rendered quoins. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height to upper floors, with rendered surrounds, painted masonry sills supported on corbels having swan's-neck pediments to first floor, and two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows. Sited directly onto street.
This terrace of mid-eighteenth-century former houses was remodelled and amalgamated about 1880, for commercial use. It is on a particularly narrow and awkward site, as can be seen in the elevation to St. Stephen's Green. Nos. 22-23 are an example of the change from domestic to commercial use. The dense fenestration pattern contrasts with the grand proportions of the neighbouring houses on St. Stephen's Green, but forms an attractive bookend to Dawson Street. The rendered window surrounds, with swan's-neck pediments, contributes to its quality and place it in a late nineteenth-century context. They add artistic interest to the façade.