Survey Data

Reg No

50100144


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

Shop/retail outlet


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1900 - 1910


Coordinates

316025, 233546


Date Recorded

29/07/2016


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Corner-sited five-storey commercial building over concealed basement, built c. 1905, having two bays to St. Stephen's Green and three bays to Dawson Street, shopfronts to both elevations of ground floor, and with full-height return to re-entrant corner at rear. Retail units to ground floor and offices above. Flat roof behind rendered parapet walling with painted concrete coping, concealed rainwater goods with boxed downpipe inset to southwest corner. Painted rendered walling, channel rusticated to first floor, and having moulded sill courses to first, second and third floors, moulded stringcourse at window head level to first floor and platband to window head level of third floor. Corner tourelle with domical roof on fluted rendered corbel. Three-tier canted-bay windows to middle three floors, having square-headed replacement uPVC windows, with panelled aprons to second floor having foliate shield motifs; Diocletian window openings to top floor with moulded block-and-start architraves with keystones, tripartite windows with one-over-one timber sliding sashes. Polished red and black granite quoined pilasters to ground floor, framing wraparound timber shopfront with painted console brackets supporting angled timber fascia with recent lettering, large basket-handle-headed display windows over shallow panelled stall-risers. Replacement glazed timber shop door with round-headed overlight, paired doors at west side on south elevation with four-panel raised-and-fielded doors with round-headed and segmental-headed overlights, that to west having sign 'Park Chambers'. Concrete-framed basement lights.

Appraisal

A landmark building, attributed to J.C. Clayton, located prominently at the junction of St. Stephen's Green and Dawson Street. It is characterized by a distinctively tall fa├žade with three-tier canted-bay windows, a corner tourelle and elements of an early shopfront. Although much of the original external detailing has been lost, No. 13 makes a significant contribution to these rich and diverse streetscapes. The rendering, stringcourses and window treatments display a rich variety of detail and the long, detailed shopfronts add interest at street level. St. Stephen's Green, named after a medieval leper hospital, developed in a more ad hoc fashion than the mid-eighteenth-century squares, which is evident in the range of styles and irregularities in the street frontages.