Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Historical

Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1715 - 1840


316021, 233706

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached two-bay three-storey former house, built c. 1725 as one of pair (Nos. 14-15), modified c. 1820 and having full-height closet return to rear. Now in commercial use, with shopfront to ground floor. Flat roof, having brick parapet with stone coping, shared chimneystack to west, and cast-iron downpipes with hopper shared with building to east. Return has gabled slate roof. Flemish bond handmade red brick walling to upper floors, having render quoins to west end. Square-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, patent reveals, painted masonry sills and replacement uPVC windows. Largely modern shopfront retaining earlier pilasters and cornice over recent fascia, and having replacement timber door to east serving upper floors.


An early survivor from the original laying out of South Anne Street in the early eighteenth century, defined by characteristic diminutive proportions, and probably originally gable-fronted. Constructed of handmade brick, it retains a rare example of a closet return paired with the adjoining building. The building otherwise makes a strong contribution to this important early eighteenth-century streetscape, along with its neighbours to either side, which are similarly proportioned.