Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Previous Name

Topham and White

Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1800 - 1860


315928, 233722

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Corner-sited two-bay four-storey former house, built c. 1820 and altered 1859, having equivalent of four-bay side (South Anne Street) elevation, latter having two blank bays. Now in commercial use and having render shopfront wrapping around full length of both elevations. Fully abutted to rear. Hipped slate roof, concealed by rendered parapet with granite coping, and having concealed rainwater goods. Painted smooth rendered walling to upper floors, with raised quoins to corner only. Square-headed window openings with patent reveals, painted masonry sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows.


This building was originally two houses, the windowed bays to the side elevation having been a separate house, the whole now in commercial use. Extensively 'improved' by E. H. Carson in 1859, it terminates a group of three on Grafton Street, and on South Anne Street it provides a residential aspect to a row of commercial buildings of disparate ages and styles. Proportions and restrained detailing are representative of the later phases of residential development on the street. The building contributes to the architectural vitality and eclecticism of a street that largely developed its current form in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries and is celebrated as Dublin's premier shopping street.