Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use


Historical Use

Shop/retail outlet


1710 - 1840


316054, 233778

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Corner-sited two-bay four-storey former house, built c. 1720 as north end-of-terrace of three (Nos. 51A-51C), remodelled c. 1830, having four-bay side elevation to Duke Street, and having wraparound shopfront to both elevations; fully abutted to rear. Now disused. Pitched slate roof concealed by rendered parapet with moulded stone coping. Chimneystack to east of centre shared with adjoining building to south; concealed rainwater goods. Painted ruled-and-lined rendered walling to front elevation and painted brick to side elevation, with channelled stucco quoins and plain frieze. Square-headed window openings, diminishing in height, with painted masonry sills, moulded architraves to first floor of side elevation. Variety of timber windows, front elevation having six-over-six pane sliding sash to top floor, double casements with three-pane toplights to second floor and full-width fixed window with moulded frame to first floor; side elevation has blind openings to top two floors of east bay, one double casement to top floor of next bay, margined coloured glass to fixed two-over-two pane to first floor of same bay, three-over-three pane elsewhere to top floor and six-over-six pane sliding sash to remainder of elevation. Early twentieth-century shopfront, modified c. 1980, having black brick stall-risers, timber display windows with turned transoms; remainder is replacement fabric.


One of a group of three early nineteenth-century buildings located at the corner of Dawson and Duke streets that display unified proportions and detailing. Both streets were laid out in the early eighteenth century and these buildings represent a later phase of development that contributes to the varied and distinctive urban grain of the area. The insertion of a large display window to the first floor of the front elevation has altered the appearance of the building. Otherwise, the structure retains some good features, including a variety of windows that are indicative of its history of adaptation, and part of the earlier shopfront.