Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1720 - 1890


316006, 233784

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Corner-sited two-bay four-storey former house, built c. 1730, refaced c. 1880, and fully abutted to rear by recent extension. M-profile hipped slate roof concealed by brick parapet with granite coping over profiled brick corbels. Large chimneystack to centre shared with adjoining building to east; profiled metal gutters and downpipe to west elevation. Flemish bond red brick walling to front elevation, returning as quoins to painted ruled-and-lined rendered west elevation. Square-headed window openings with flat brick arches, projecting granite sills and timber sliding sash windows, two-over-two pane to first and second floors and one-over-one pane to first floor. West elevation has six-over-six pane in deeper reveal to ground floor and timber casement window to top floor. Recent glazed wraparound shopfront with recent acrylic fascias.


The current appearance of this property is characterized by restrained late nineteenth-century materials and detailing, although the building is likely to have earlier origins, sharing proportions and a chimneystack shared with the adjoining pair of buildings to the east, which are of early typology (c. 1730), having the pinched fenestration representative of a modified 'Dutch Billy'. It frames the north end of Duke Lane Upper, along with another early building to the west side of the lane. The alterations are highly representative of the continuous alteration and development of the street, with commercial uses gradually eclipsing the original residential character during the course of the nineteenth century. The building continues to provide architectural context and variety in Duke Street, in the retail heart of Dublin.