Categories of Special Interest
1725 - 1865
Attached two-bay three-storey former house, built c. 1730, modified c. 1840 and extended 1860, and having recent shopfront to ground floor. Later in commercial use; currently vacant. Completely enclosed to rear. Shallow M-profile pitched slate roof, concealed by brick parapet with masonry coping. Flemish bond brown brick walling. Square-headed window openings with flat brick lintels and masonry sills, having plain reveals to top floor, and first floor windows set in moulded stucco architraves with entablature on scrolled corbel brackets; one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows with horns.
No. 24 Duke Street is one of a handful of buildings on the street that retains early characteristics, and was formerly gable-fronted. Duke Street was laid out in the early eighteenth century, and the diminutive proportions of the building, in addition to handmade brick, are distinguishing features of an early form. It was modified in the nineteenth century with classically styled window surrounds and, despite the replacement shopfront, it is an important part of the streetscape and record of an earlier typology. It enhances the architectural quality, variety and historical context of Duke Street.