Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Technical
In Use As
1925 - 1930
Corner-sited four-storey commercial building, dated 1928, having five bays to Duke Street, canted corner, three bays to Grafton Street, and recent timber shopfront wrapping around to both street elevations; fully abutted to rear and sides. In retail use. Flat roof concealed by pierced parapet punctuated by piers over lesene strips dividing bays; corner bay topped by dome over cornice and octagonal base with panelled facets. Walling fully clad in Carraware tiles at second and third floor levels; bays divided by quoined pilasters corresponding to parapet piers; crown cornice on corbels, and plain frieze. Square-headed window openings with moulded architraves to top floor with keystones, pilastered surrounds with segmental pedimented entablature to first floor over continuous moulded sill course. Timber side-hung casement windows with top-lights. First floor has continuous span of timber display windows to both elevations, except for corner bay and east bay of Duke Street elevation, latter having moulded architrave and moulded cornice and sill of window to first floor above is bowed and supported on consoles. Corner bay has bowed metal balconette bearing letter 'B'. Deep fascia over first floor. East bay of Duke Street elevation has double-leaf timber panelled door with glazed upper panels, plain overlight, moulded architrave and triangular pediment with raised blank panel underneath. Polished black granite surround retained to canted-bay entrance and framing shopfront and bearing inscription 'This stone was laid by Stanley Howard Burton 1928'.
A prominently located and substantial retail block in a stripped classical style typical of the early twentieth century. It was purpose-built for Burton's clothes retailer, as recorded by two date-stones and the letter 'B' that still adorns the balconette. Possibly designed by the company's in-house architect, Henry Wilson. It is particularly noteworthy as the only building in Dublin to be clad in original stone-coloured Carraware tiles by Doultons of Lambeth. Despite the replacement of original shopfronts to ground and first floors, the building remains a worthy part of the eclectic and varied streetscape of Grafton Street.