Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1880 - 1920
Attached two-bay four-storey red brick commercial building, built c. 1900 as one of pair (Nos. 10-11), and having timber shopfront with recent insertion to ground floor, and full-height return to rear shared with No. 10. Reconstructed pitched slate roof (shared with No. 10) concealed by lead-covered parapet, with corbelled gauged brick eaves cornice, and replacement aluminium gutters. Brick chimneystack shared with adjoining building. Flemish bond tinted orange brick walling. Square-headed window openings to top two floors and segmental-headed openings to first floor, with plain reveals, concrete sills and replacement timber top-hung casement windows. Shopfront comprises replacement windows, door, fascia and stall-riser, mounted within original surround having panelled pilasters with punctured frieze having gableted entablature to east side only. One of pair with building to east, but amalgamated at ground floor with building to west.
No. 11 Duke Street is a brick commercial building whose proportions reflect the early Georgian urban grain of a street that was laid out in the 1720s but that is now substantially altered. Restrained detailing and brickwork are of the early twentieth century. One of a pair, this building is less well preserved than its neighbour, having lost original fenestration, although it does retain part of an earlier shopfront, apparently used as a model for the replica shopfront to the adjoining premises.