Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1870 - 1890
Attached three-bay three-storey warehouse, built c. 1880, with set-back attic storey, and fully abutted to sides and rear. Flat roof, with partly rendered chimneystack to north with octagonal terracotta pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods on stone corbels. Flemish bond yellow brick walling with stone coping to lower part and to attic storey. Mainly camber-headed openings, with brick voussoirs and granite sills. Bottom-hinged inward-opening three-light timber casement windows to second floor and two-light to first floor. Square-headed battened timber loading doors to south bay with brick camber-arch heads to openings. Steel winch to roof over loading bay. Recent metal doors to ground floor, eastern having overlight and middle bay having vehicular entrance. Barred louvered window to ground floor at west.
A late nineteenth-century brick warehouse at the rear of Grafton Street. Duke Lane is captioned 'Stable Lane' on Rocque's map of 1756, when it served the fine dwellings of the time on Grafton Street. The character of the lane is likely to have changed in tandem with Grafton Street, as the latter changed from residential to commercial use in the nineteenth century. Today, this building is one of only two historic warehouses remaining on the lane. It is well maintained in good original condition, with timber loading doors and an original winch. Now flanked by expanses of modern service facilities, it provides important historic context to this back-lands area of Dublin's premier retail street.