Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1740 - 1780


315864, 235037

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay four-storey former townhouse, built c. 1760, refaced c. 1900, shopfronts inserted to ground floor. Now in use as shop. Flat roof with rendered chimneystack set behind red brick parapet wall with granite coping. Rendered walls to first floor and English Garden wall bond machine red brick walls laid in English garden wall bond to upper floors. Square-headed windows openings with granite sills and one-over-one pane timber sash windows, blocked to top floor. Recent full-width shopfront.


Dublin Civic Trust 'Survey of Gable-Fronted Houses and Other Early Buildings of Dublin City', (2012), states 'In spite of its commercial appearance, No. 159 may be one of the earliest structures on this stretch of the street, likely to have been built as a pair with No. 160 and refaced at the turn of 1900 with a false blind attic storey added. The large chimneystack at the centre of plan with the entrance at the opposite side is an indication of its early origin, along with the closet return with steeply pitch roof shared with No. 160. The plots of both buildings are shown as undeveloped on Rocque’s map of 1756 and are likely to have been built immediately afterwards. The rear elevation of No. 159 appears to exhibit a fenestration pattern suggestive of a former rear gable.'