Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1700 - 1750
Attached two-bay three-storey former house, built c. 1725, refaced c. 1880, now in use as restaurant with recent shopfront to ground floor. Pitched slate roof with ridge running perpendicular to street, hipped to front and gabled to rear, having brick parapet with granite coping. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick walls laid in Flemish bond. Camber-headed window openings with brick voussoirs, granite sills and timber casement windows. Full-width glazed shopfront and door to ground floor.
Dublin Civic Trust's 'Survey of Gable-Fronted and Other Early Buildings of Dublin City,' 2012, states 'Potentially one of the oldest buildings in Temple Bar and probably built as one of a pair with No. 2, this former townhouse retains a number of characteristics of a former gable-fronted house including a steeply pitched gabled rear elevation, a roof ridge running perpendicular to the street and its overall diminutive proportions. While the chimney appears to have been removed and the neighbouring building largely rebuilt, this is an example of an early Dublin townhouse that retains its historic appearance and contributes to the early character and scale of the Temple Bar area.'