Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1840
Terrace of six two-bay two-storey houses, built c.1820, with returns and later extensions to rear (north) elevation. M-profile pitched slate and artificial slate roofs hidden behind rendered parapet walls with granite coping, rendered chimneystacks with yellow clay pots, and some square profile cast-iron rainwater goods. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls, render removed from no.6. Square-headed window openings with rendered reveals, granite sills, one-over-one pane timber sash windows, and replacement timber and uPVC windows. Round-headed door openings with timber panelled pilasters having console brackets supporting timber cornice and plain and spoked fanlights, surrounding timber panelled doors, and replacement uPVC and timber doors. Cast-iron railings on rendered plinths with granite coping having cast-iron pedestrian gates to front (south) boundary. Some gates removed forming driveways.
Construction of the Grand Canal was completed in 1797 providing a waterway connection between Dublin and the River Shannon. New streets, including this one, were laid out along the canal and in the surrounding area, and residential development began in the early nineteenth century. The houses along Windsor Terrace were built speculatively giving rise to small groupings of similar, but not identical, terraced houses. Individually named terraces, including Rosanna Place and Bloomfield Place are recorded on the Ordnance Survey maps. The houses were valued at £15 and occupiers included Mr. Benjamin Todd, Inspector of Police and Mr. Henry Disney, Overseer on the Grand Canal. The terrace is relatively intact and the restrained facades are enriched by the retention of historic features including decorative doorcases, fanlights, and cast-iron railings and gates, making a positive contribution to the character of the streetscape.