Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social, Technical

Previous Name

Clanbrassil Bridge

Original Use


In Use As



1930 - 1940


314943, 232411

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Single-arch bridge, built 1935-6, carrying road over the Grand Canal. Elliptical arch with rendered spandrels and string course. Balustrade comprising balusters and rendered handrail, terminating in rendered piers with inset panels surmounted by lamp standards. Rendered wing walls with rendered string courses, cut limestone and rendered copings. Carved limestone plaque with bust of Robert Emmet to eastern balustrade.


The original canal bridge at this location was named for James Hamilton, 2nd Earl of Clanbrassil, and was constructed around 1790. The current structure was rebuilt in 1935-6, its design echoing the composition of the eighteenth century bridges on this stretch of the Grand Canal. It was renamed Robert Emmet Bridge to commemorate the member of the United Irishmen who led a failed rebellion against the British in the early nineteenth century. Emmet was captured in Harold’s Cross and executed in 1803. A limestone plaque and relief bust by Albert George Power and an inscription in Irish add artistic and historical interest.