Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1855 - 1865
Terrace of six two-bay two-storey over raised basement houses, built c.1860, having two-storey returns to rear (east) elevations. Pitched roofs, some M-profile, having brown brick parapet with cut granite capping, and stepped brown brick and rendered chimneystacks having some clay chimney pots. Brown brick walls laid in Flemish bond to front elevation having cut granite sting course over rendered walls to basement level. Recent render to front elevation of no.19. Rendered walls to north gable. Square-headed window openings having cut granite sills, six-over-six pane timber sash windows, and two-over-two pane timber sash windows, some replacement uPVC windows. Ground floor timber sash window to number 22 having coloured glass margin lights. Elliptical-headed door openings having plain fanlights, timber door surrounds having brackets supporting cornices and frieze, and timber panelled doors, approached by cut granite steps with wrought-iron railings. Some front gardens enclosed by cast-iron railings on rendered plinths with cut granite capping, and cast-iron pedestrian gates.
This terrace retains much of its early form and character, and fabric including timber doorcases and decorative ironwork. It shares scale and proportions with neighbouring buildings, resulting in a coherent streetscape. The streets in this area were built by private developers in groups of as few as two or three, leading to a lively and attractive variation in decorative finishes of houses built in similar materials. Longwood Avenue, linking the Grand Canal with South Circular Road, was laid out in 1853, and was one of the earliest new streets to be developed in the Portobello area.