Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use


In Use As



1820 - 1840


315053, 232665

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Pair of terraced two-bay two-storey over raised basement houses, built c.1830, having lower two-storey returns to rear (south) elevations. M-profile pitched slate and artificial slate roofs, hipped to west end, with rendered parapet with cornice and rendered chimneystacks. Brown brick walls laid in Flemish bond to front elevations having cut granite quoins and cut granite string course over lined-and-ruled rendered walls to basement. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls to east gable and rear elevations. Square-headed window openings having cut granite sills and one-over-one timber sash windows. Round-headed door openings having plain fanlights, and carved timber door surrounds with decorative brackets, and timber panelled door to no. 83. Replacement door surround and door to no. 85. Cut granite steps with wrought-iron railings, parapet wall to east side of entrance platform of no.83. Front gardens enclosed by cast-iron railings on rendered plinth walls with cut granite capping, and cast-iron pedestrian gates.


This terrace retains much of its early form and character, and shares scale and proportions with neighbouring buildings, resulting in a coherent streetscape. The granite quoins, parapet and string course articulate the pair and give a sense of grandeur to the upper levels. The streets in this area were built by private developers in groups of as few as two or three, leading to a lively and attractive variation in decorative finishes of houses built in similar materials. Historic maps show the terrace named as Clanbrassil Terrace, one of the earliest terraces to be developed on this portion of the South Circular Road. The South Circular Road was laid out in the late eighteenth century to relieve congestion and improve access to the city.