Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social

Previous Name

4 Seasons Food

Original Use

Shop/retail outlet

In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1870 - 1890


314969, 232678

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Corner-sited terraced group of three-storey houses with shops to ground floor, built c.1880, having recent shopfronts to front (west) and north elevations. Now in use as shop, post office and café. Red brick and rendered chimneystacks and clay chimney pots, flat roof hidden behind rendered parapet, raised to north, with moulded render cornice and platband. Hipped roof to No. 109. Rendered walls having channelled render quoins, Ionic pilasters flanking rear (east) elevation. Blind oculus to parapet to front. Moulded render fluted consoles and cornices over windows to first floor to north and east elevations, with render string course forming continuous sill course to first floor to north elevation. Recent red brick walls laid in stretcher bond, to ground floor of No.68, having render plinth course. Square-headed window openings, paired to north and east elevations, with masonry sills and replacement uPVC windows, some with moulded render architraves. Round-headed door opening to front, with moulded masonry surround, half-glazed timber panelled door and granite step. Single, double and triple arrangements of round-headed openings to front and north elevations of ground floor, with moulded masonry surrounds and timber-framed windows. Angled corner bay with square-headed door opening. Elliptical-headed door opening to east elevation of No.109, having carved masonry surround, timber panelled door and plain fanlight, with shared platform and granite steps.


This imposing group of buildings makes a striking impression on the streetscape at Leonard's Corner. The fine decorative render detailing, notably to the north and east elevations, is an immediately engaging feature and adds artistic interest. These buildings have a long commercial history, with No.67 listed in Thom's Directory of 1894 as the property of wholesale grocers and wine merchants the Hickey Brothers, and No.68 of Henry S. Misstear, pharmaceutical chemist.