Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1870
Attached pair of two-bay two-storey over basement houses, built c.1860. M-profile pitched slate roof, hipped to rear (west) and to south to front (east) elevation, having yellow brick and rendered chimneystacks with clay chimney pots, cast-iron rainwater goods, terracotta ridge tiles, and rendered parapet with granite coping. Rendered walls with carved granite plinth course over rendered wall to basement area. Render exposed to south elevation. Square-headed window openings to front, having raised render reveals, painted masonry sills, one-over-one pane timber sash windows and replacement uPVC windows. Square-headed door and window openings to basement area, having replacement uPVC windows and doors. Round-headed door opening to south elevation, with granite sill and timber sash window. Segmental-headed door openings to front, having moulded masonry surrounds, timber panelled doors flanked by timber pilasters, and decorative fanlights. Granite platforms bridging basement area, with granite steps flanked by wrought-iron railings. Cast-iron pedestrian gates with wrought-iron railings on granite plinth walls to front.
The form and scale of this pair is characteristic of suburban domestic design at the time. The regular fenestration arrangement and shared parapet height create a pleasingly well-proportioned façade, enhanced by elegant segmental-headed door openings, and the fanlight of No.8 adds artistic interest. Thom's Directory of 1870 rates these houses at £18 and £19 respectively, and no.7 was used as a seminary for young ladies by The Misses Wood, and no.8 was inhabited by a Mrs. Doyle.