Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Historical Social
Presentation Sisters Warrenmount
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Attached four-bay two-storey former convent chapel, built c.1820, having seven-bay three-storey former convent extension to south-east, built c.1900. Now in use as offices. Pitched slate roof having leaded verge stone to chapel gable with metal cross finial, carved granite verge stone and cross finial to convent building gable. Corbelled render eaves course to convent. Rendered walls. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls with quoins to convent. Pointed arch window openings to chapel having paired lights with leaded windows. Square-headed window openings with render surrounds, cornices, granite sills and one-over-one timber sash windows to convent. Flat-roofed porch with cornice and parapet, having recent glass doors, to west elevation. Recessed square-headed door opening having timber panelled double doors with stained glass panels, approached by granite steps and recent ramp. Set back from street having cut granite walls to Blackpitts entrance with cut granite piers and wrought-iron entrance arch and recent metal gates. Cut stone entrance piers to Mill Street entrance with cast-iron ogee arch above having cross finial. Associated school building to south.
This former chapel and convent retain much of their early form and character, and fabric including timber windows and doors. The chapel was built by the Carmelite Order following their occupation of neighbouring Warrenmount House. The convent was later taken over and extended by the Presentation order. A Presentation national school was built to the south c.1900. Together with the former convent and school it has an imposing presence among the neighbouring industrial and domestic buildings.