Categories of Special Interest
Warrenmount House / Presentation Sisters Warrenmou
In Use As
1720 - 1760
Attached six-bay three storey over basement former house, built c.1740, formerly five-bay with later single-bay extension to east end. Attached to rear (south) and west to former convent. Now in use as a community education centre. Pitched bellcast slate roof having parapet to front (north) with lead capping, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Roughcast rendered walls. Segmental-arched window openings having red and yellow brick voussoirs and carved granite sills. Round-arched window opening to first floor over entrance bay, having moulded render surround. granite sill and sawtooth brick hood moulding. Square-headed window openings with granite sills to rear and gables. Timber sash windows with exposed sash boxes. Round-arched door opening having granite Gibbsian surround, plain fanlight, timber panelled door and granite step. Cast-iron railings on painted granite plinths enclosing basement area. Set back from street having cut stone piers to front entrance with cast-iron ogee arch above with cross finial. Associated school building to rear.
This former house retains much of its early form and character, and traditional fabric including timber sash windows and the stone door surround. It was home to former Lord Mayor (1782-3) and High Sheriff (1773-4) Nathaniel Warren before becoming a Carmelite convent and school c.1813, and later a Presentation convent c.1892, sharing the site with a Presentation national school to south, built c.1900. Together with the former convent and school it has an imposing presence among the neighbouring industrial and domestic buildings.