Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terrace of four two- and three-bay two-storey over basement houses, built c.1830, having returns to rear (south) elevation, and two-bay single-storey over basement addition to west gable. M-profile pitched slate and artificial slate roofs having parapet with granite capping to front (north) elevation, and stepped yellow brick chimneystacks. Yellow brick walls laid in Flemish bond to front elevation. Cut granite plinth course over rendered walls to basements. Red mortar to walls to number 127. Rendered and yellow brick walls to west gables. Square-headed window openings having cut granite sills, timber sash windows, and some replacement uPVC windows. Round-headed door openings having painted timber door surrounds with carved brackets, timber panelled doors, petal fanlights and plain fanlights. Portico to entrance of number 127 with masonry Corinthian columns having respondent pilasters. Cut granite steps and entrance platform having cast-iron railings. Front gardens enclosed by cast-iron railings on rendered plinths with granite capping.
This terrace retains much of its early form and character, and fabric including sash windows, doorcases and cast-iron railings. The front garden boundaries remain intact, maintaining the early suburban character of the streetscape. The streets in this area were built by private developers in groups of as few as two or three, leading to a lively and attractive variation in decorative finishes of houses constructed in similar materials. The South Circular Road was laid out in the late eighteenth century to relieve congestion in the city centre and improve access.