Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1860
Attached eleven-bay three-storey former distillery warehouse, built c.1840, later in use as brewery, subsequently in use as tannery and as laundry, now in use as studios. Hipped slate roofs with cast-iron rainwater goods, some corrugated sheeted strip rooflights, and having brick parapet to south-west elevation. Snecked limestone walls with dressed limestone quoins to east end and brick block-and-start quoins to west end. Round-headed window openings, partly infilled, with brick block-and-start surrounds and granite sills having timber casement windows with iron bars to ground floor. Square-headed openings with brick block-and-start surrounds, granite sills and metal casement windows to first and second floors. Infilled elliptical-headed carriage arches with brick voussoirs and dressed limestone reveals.
The site between New Row South and Fumbally Lane has a historical connection with the brewing, distilling and tanning industries stretching back to the seventeenth century. A significant new distillery complex, of which this building formed part, was constructed by John Busby in the 1830s. By 1845 the distillery was valued at £400. It was taken over by the Dublin City Brewing Company in the 1860s. It is a solidly built industrial building with few embellishments other than the brick block-and-start window dressings, which add colour and textural interest. Many of the former industrial buildings have been converted to residential and office use in recent years, ensuring their continued survival.