Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social
Saint Luke's Church of Ireland Church
1870 - 1890
Tudor arch gateway, erected c.1880, with line-and-ruled lime rendered walls having crenellated parapet and carved granite corbels. Double-leaf steel gates with scrollwork over. Leading to Church of Ireland graveyard, established c.1715.
Recently restored, this gate was a later addition to Saint Luke's Church and graveyard, giving access from Newmarket in the late nineteenth century. Prior to that, the church and its grounds were accessed from the north, via a tree-lined avenue to The Coombe, as indicated on early maps. The entrance is well designed and executed, with subtle Gothic Revival elements typical of the Victorian era. It contextualises and forms part of an interesting group with the church and the widows' house to the south, now on the other side of the Coombe Relief Road.