Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1760 - 1800
Terraced two-bay four-storey former house, built c.1780, possibly incorporating earlier fabric, having twentieth-century tiled shopfront to front (north) elevation. Now in use as shop and apartments. M-profile hipped roof, hidden behind yellow brick parapet with granite coping. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Yellow brick laid in Flemish bond to front. Square-headed window openings having painted masonry sills, block-and-start brick surrounds and four-over-four pane timber sash windows. Tiled shopfront, steel roller shutter to shop opening, square-headed door opening to overhead accommodation, timber panelled door.
This substantial building retains some notable historic features, such as timber sash windows, which lend a patina of age. The block-and-start surrounds are a subtle and unusual feature. The tiled surround to the shopfront, which dates from c.1950, is simple but well-composed and provides visual as well as contextual interest to the façade. Pettigrew & Oulson's Street Directory of 1838 lists it as the property of William and John Malone, wool and tow card manufacturers, indicating that there is a long commercial history associated with this site.