Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social

Previous Name

Liberties Dublin Bazaar Ltd

Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1720 - 1760


314616, 233858

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced three-bay four-storey former house, built c.1740, remodelled c.1850, having recent shopfront to front (north) elevation. Now in use as shop. Flat roof, hidden behind rendered parapet with cornice. Lined-and-ruled render to front walls, render pilasters to third floor, dentillated moulded cornice and fascia flanked by consoles having wreath motifs and ribbon detail over second floor. Fascia with date over third floor windows. Square-headed window openings, with render surrounds, shouldered to second and third floors, and dentillated cornices on scrolled consoles over first floor windows. Replacement uPVC windows. Cast-iron light fittings over shopfront. Recent shutter over recent shopfront.


This highly-embellished façade makes a strong impression on the streetscape, with the later stucco detailing providing artistic interest, and reflecting a desire to update the building to contemporary fashions. The regular arrangement of the façade creates a pleasing sense of symmetry. Alterations were made to this building by McCurdy & Mitchell in 1944. Thom's Directory of 1862 lists it as the property of Henry Pattison, importer and wholesale dealer in teas, coffee, sugars, spices and foreign fruits. Pattison was still the proprietor in 1932 when work was undertaken by Bergin & Butler, indicating its long commercial history.