Categories of Special Interest
The Carpet Mills
In Use As
1750 - 1790
Attached pair of two-bay three-storey former houses, built c.1770, remodelled c.1900, and with recent shopfronts to front (north) elevation. Now in use as shops and offices. M-profile hipped tiled roofs, set perpendicular to street, with rendered chimneystack and rendered parapet having painted masonry coping, cast-iron rainwater goods. Rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with painted masonry sills and one-over-one pane timber sash windows.
Built as a pair, the shared parapet height and fenestration arrangement contribute positively to the streetscape. Appropriate fenestration adds relief to the façade. Thom’s Directory of 1862 indicates that No.44 was occupied by P.Foley, Victualler, and No.45 was occupied by Rich Hunt, wholesale grocer, tea, wine and spirit merchant. The buildings appear to have been redeveloped at the turn of the twentieth century, following the remodelling of no.46. Thomas Street has a long commercial history, having developed as one of the main arteries into the city and had many trading places and markets.