Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced three-bay four-storey house, built c.1850, having shopfront to front (north) elevation, and return to rear. Now also in use as shop. Pitched roof, hidden behind rebuilt red brick brick parapet with granite coping. Red brick laid in Flemish bond to front, third floor rebuilt in yellow and red brick, having render quoins to east of façade. Red brick laid in Flemish bond to east elevation. Square-headed window openings having painted sills, raised render reveals and two-over-two pane timber sash windows. Shopfront comprising render pilasters supporting fascia and cornice, display windows with render sills and risers, and render plinth course. Central square-headed door opening having double-leaf half-glazed timber panelled door.
This substantial building retains much of its early form and scale, though the original top floor was demolished in the mid twentieth century, and has been recently rebuilt and now shares a parapet height with its neighbouring buildings to the west. The shopfront, which dates from c.1900, is simple but well-composed and provides visual as well as contextual interest to the façade. Thom's Directory of 1862 lists it as the property of J.M. O'Callaghan, baker.