Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1780 - 1800
Terraced two-bay four-storey former house with integral laneway, built c.1790, as part of pair with No.54, having return to rear (south) elevation. Recent timber shopfront to front (north) elevation and now in use as restaurant. Shared pitched roof, hipped to east, with shared painted brick chimneystack, hidden behind painted brick parapet with painted granite coping. Painted brick laid in Flemish bond to walls to front. Yellow brick laid in English garden wall bond to return, having granite bollards to base of wall to east elevation. Square-headed window openings having granite sills, raised render reveals and one-over-one pane timber sash windows. Square-headed window openings to east elevation of return, with granite sills, and one-over-one pane timber sash windows, blocked to ground floor. Timber fascia over square-headed openings to shopfront.
This mid-Georgian building retains much of its early form and design, and fabric such as timber sash windows which lend depth and relief. The decreasing scale of fenestration creates a well-balanced façade. This house forms a pair with its neighbour to the west, sharing a roofline, parapet height and fenestration pattern and bringing a pleasing uniformity to the streetscape. An entrance to Molyneux Yard through the front is an interesting feature. Thom's Directory of 1862 lists it as the property of Michl. Murtha, provision dealer.