Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1780 - 1800
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, built c.1790, as part of pair with No.54A. Shopfront to front (north) elevation added c.1970 and now in use as shop. Shared pitched roof, hipped to west, with shared red brick chimneystack, painted brick parapet with granite coping, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted brick laid in Flemish bond to walls, rebuilt to third floor. Square-headed window openings having granite sills and one-over-one pane timber sash windows. Timber fascia over square-headed window and door openings to shopfront, square-headed door opening to west of shopfront with timber panelled door and overlight.
This mid-Georgian building retains much of its early form and design, and fabric such as timber sash windows which lend a patina of age. The decreasing scale of fenestration creates a well-balanced façade. Built as a pair with its neighbour to the east, sharing a roofline, parapet height and fenestration pattern, it brings a pleasing sense of uniformity to the streetscape. Thom's Directory of 1862 lists it as the property of Mrs Norah Kelly, grocer, tea, wine and spirit merchant, indicating that there is a long commercial history associated with this site.