Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1780 - 1800
Terraced two-bay four-storey former house, built c.1790, now amalgamated with no.51, and having recent shopfront to front (north) elevation. Currently in use as shop and apartments. Flat roof, hidden behind painted brick parapet with granite coping. Red brick laid in Flemish bond to walls. Rebuilt walls to third floor, painted to first and second floors. Square-headed window openings having granite sills and timber sash windows, two-over-two pane to first floor, six-over-six pane to second floor, one-over-one pane to third floor. Recent timber shopfront.
This mid-Georgian building retains much of its early form and design, and fabric including timber sash windows which lend a patina of age. The decreasing scale of fenestration creates a well-balanced façade. The Dublin Street Directory of 1862 lists it as the property of John Carroll, Victualler, indicating that there is a long commercial history associated with this site.