Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Historical, Social
In Use As
1815 - 1825
Corner-sited four-storey former pair of houses and shops, built c.1820, now in single use having four-bay front (north) elevation and four-bay west elevation, two-bay two-storey return to rear (south) elevation, and recent shopfronts to both front and west elevations. M-profile hipped roof with brown brick chimneystacks, hidden behind brown brick parapet having granite coping and cast-iron rainwater goods. Brown brick laid in Flemish bond to walls with granite quoins. Cast-iron plaque to first floor to west elevation, inscribed ‘MERCHANTS QUAY WARD’. Square-headed window openings having raised render reveals, granite sills and timber sash windows, three-over-three pane to third floor, six-over-six pane to lower floors, some blocked. Round-headed door opening to west elevation of return, with moulded masonry surround, Ionic columns and entablature over double-leaf timber panelled door, blocked fanlight. Recent shopfront comprising corner entrance with recessed porch and square-profile pier, display windows to both elevations, and door to east end front elevation leading to upper floors.
Occupying a prominent position at the junction of Meath Street and Thomas Street, this well-proportioned building has been used in the past as two separate businesses. It was originally built as a pair as a Wide Streets Commission improvement in a typically restrained style with substantial accommodation over the commercial ground floor. The Dublin Street Directory of 1862 lists no.47 as the property of John and William Wardell, grocers and provision merchants, and no.48 as occupied by Bouchier, Bailey & Co. trimming merchants, while in more recent times it was in use as a grocer's shop and provision merchants in the early twentieth century. Timber sash windows are retained, lending a patina of age, and the decreasing scale of fenestration provides a pleasing regularity to the façade. Due to its location, form and scale, it is a striking addition to the streetscape.