Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, built c.1820, having recent shopfront to front (south) elevation. Now also in use as restaurant. Flat roof hidden behind rendered parapet with granite coping and cast-iron rainwater goods. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with painted masonry sills and four-over-four pane timber sash windows. Panelled pilasters and carved decorative fascia to shopfront, square-headed timber panelled door and overlight to west of shopfront, leading to overhead accommodation.
This building retains much of its early form and character, and has a long commercial history. The Dublin Street Directory of 1862 lists this building, with No.81, as the property of Anderson & Bailey, rope, twine and whip manufacturers. Timber sash windows bring relief and depth to the façade. It shares a parapet height with its neighbour to the west, creating a pleasing sense of uniformity. Thomas Street developed along the ancient Slige Mor highway to the west, and was named after an Abbey dedicated to Saint Thomas the Martyr, which was established in the area in 1177. The city water course partially ran along the street until it was paved over in 1696, and the ready availability of water contributed to the development of the street as a centre of brewing and distilling.